I stole this survey off of someone else's blog, because I couldn't come up with anything creative and contemplative on my own.
1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
Traveled overseas. Got a passport, had an international flight, went through customs.
Drove into Pittsburgh by myself. Drove to Missouri and back, the whole way!!
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Um...not as well as I would have liked. I am making some resolutions, because hope springs eternal. And also because I'm making new "decade" resolutions.
And because some things just have to change!!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Well, I know a few people who had babies. Nobody that I'm super (at least in terms of physical proximity) close with, though.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not this year, no.
5. What countries did you visit?
IRELAND!!! It was awesome.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
I would love to know what I'm doing with my life, but I doubt that will happen.
7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
From '07?? Well, probably some boy related ones that seemed momentous at the time but are now irrelevant...and Jan. 2nd, when Brianne got her tat and I got my nose pierced. That was a good day in 2007.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Geez. This is tough. I mean, I think just going to Ireland was the biggest deal. I finally did it. That was a lifelong dream, to get over to that part of the world.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Sometimes the way things ended with CW feels like I failed. Or maybe just how I handled it.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Just the usual colds I always get.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My camera. They say material things can't bring you happiness, but it has brought me such simple joy.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
We threw Jake a going away party...but that wasn't really a celebration. We still miss him.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
It was hard watching my brother's relationship go sour. (Sometimes it was hard to watch when it was good, too; but it sucks watching someone you love go through a bad break-up.)
14. Where did most of your money go?
Stuff I didn't need at Target, probably. And Mp3 downloads.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Ireland. Going to see Brianne. Prince Caspian. My new phone. Spring.
16. What songs will always remind you of 2008?
Pocketful of Sunshine. "This is Home," by Switchfoot. "The Call," by Regina Spektor.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? About even, I think.
b) thinner or fatter? I've probably put on a few this year.
c) richer or poorer? Slightly poorer, since my job change.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Writing. Job hunting, maybe. Yoga.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worrying. Stressing. Complaining.
20. How will you be spending New Year's Eve?
Hopefully going downtown for First Night with friends.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
No. Fell out of love, actually. But it's a good thing.
Well, unless you count my mad crush on Zachary Levi of "Chuck."
22. How many one-night stands?
None. I could have changed that to "dates" and the answer would still be the same.
23. What was your favourite TV program?
Chuck. Eli Stone. Heroes. Lost. Bones. Pushing Daisies. Monk. Psych. Samantha Who?
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Well, it's more that an already strong disliking intensified.
25.What was the best book you read?
"Culture Making" by Andy Crouch, or "The Celtic Way of Evangelism" by George G. Hunter. Both AMAZING books. I'd put "Walking With God" by John Eldredge, but I'm not quite finished with it yet.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I discovered that I love Coldplay. I know, they're popular and ubiquitous. Like U2. I never thought I liked them much, either. But I do, now. It's weird.
27. What did you want and get?
A camera. My new phone.
28. What did you want and not get?
A new job--something that I'm MEANT to do, you know? Some purpose and direction.
29. What was your favourite film of this year?
Ooh. Well, the sad thing is, I haven't seen a movie since July ( I know, right?!). Ironman was good, so was Get Smart. I really liked Prince Caspian, despite plot changes. HATED The Happening, but Kung Fu Panda was cute. I adored Wall-E.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Hmm...I believe I went to Seib's with friends. Yes. Several birthday drinks were consumed. Well you only turn 29 once. Or, once a year from now on.
31.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A sense of where I'm going and what I'm supposed to be doing with my life. That would have been helpful.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Scarves. Ballet flats.
33. What kept you sane?
My friends. You know who you are. My head would have exploded without you.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I think I answered that already, but I'll gladly say it again: Zachary Levi. Mmm.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Ugh. Don't get me started. I tried to avoid everything remotely political.
36. Who did you miss?
37. Who was the best new person you met?
I met some cool folks in Ireland.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008?
Community. Fellowship. Vital to survival.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"It started out as feeling, which then grew into a hope.
Which then turned into a quiet thought, which then turned into a quiet word.
And then that word grew louder and louder, until it was a battle cry!
I'll come back, when you call me, no need to say goodbye."
--Regina Spektor, "The Call" (From the Prince Caspian Soundtrack)
I used this already this year, but:
"I still haven't found what I'm looking for." --U2