www.flickr.com
J. M. Richards' items Go to J. M. Richards' photostream

6.21.2013

30 Day Writer's Challenge

So I've decided to get back in the habit of using this blog by doing a 30 day questionnaire about my writing.
As a bonus, I get to pretend I'm participating in the world's longest interview. ;)

So anyway, on to question #1:

Day 01: Your favorite writ­ing project/universe that you've worked with. 

Though this is tough, I'm leaning towards The Dark Lightning Trilogy.  That could partly be because I've worked on it the most over a long period of time, and I've grown very attached to the characters.  It could also be because it's what I'm currently spending most of my mental energy on.

But the story that eventually became a trilogy (...and inspired a subsequent spin-off trilogy...) was the first one I ever felt a relentless desire to write.  Night after night I would sit typing at the computer or scribbling in notebooks.  It was the first story I "had" to tell.  A lot of ideas have come and gone, or are in various stages of revision on my external hard drive as I write this.  

The story of Davin and Anna, though not set in a different universe but a city I came to know and love, is one that I've grown very fond of.  I'm fond of all my stories and ideas in different ways, but I do feel a little like "Tall, Dark Streak of Lightning" is my baby.  Well, my first born of triplets, you might say. :)

I think what it comes down to is that I have a lot of deep, strong feeling about these two characters--to the point where sometimes they seem very real to me, and simply that Anna dropped by one day to tell me her life story, and I happened to write it down.  It's a pretty powerful feeling.

No comments: